Monday, July 18, 2011

Gastritis

I was three weeks out of the hospital when I began to experience reapeated diarrhea and nausea. I thought maybe it had something to do with running out of my probiotic I usually take, but then I woke up one morning vomiting. I couldn't stop. I went to my doctor who told me something was wrong with my stomach and to head to the ER if I continued to throw up. The danger was dehydration. I went the next morning at 5:30 am and was admitted with severe dehydration. It took several days to get to a place where my nausea and pain were controlled enough to send me home. An endoscopy was perfomed which diagnosed the gastrits. The pictures showed a red, swollen, and ugly stomach lining. I was put on Karafate. My doctor calls it the "bandaid" since it coats the stomach giving it the space it needs from food and medicine to heal.
It's going to take time, however. I'm still on Karafate and will be for a while. I'm also being tested for siliac's diesease and/or gluten intolerance. I was on a gluten free diet for a while but I'm off of it now. I plan to resume the diet after the gastritis has healed some more. What with the diet and the week in the hospital not eating, I've lost nearly fifteen pounds so that's a silver lining. My sweet husband was my rock, supporting me and loving me despite all our fears. So thanks, Aaron. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment